Thứ Tư, 8 tháng 7, 2015

Federer Ready For Simon Battle; Murray To Face Pospisil

ATPWorldTour.com previews the quarter-final matches in the bottom half of the Wimbledon draw featuring Roger Federer, Gilles Simon, Andy Murray and Vasek Pospisil
[2] Roger Federer (SUI) vs. [12] Gilles Simon (FRA)
FedEx ATP Head2Head: Federer leads 5-2
It will be the eighth meeting between Roger Federer and Gilles Simon, their first on grass. Both of their previous Grand Slam meetings have gone the distance, and both were won by the Swiss. 
“We have never played on grass,” said Simon. “Facing him, this I know. But I think he's playing really good right now. I will just go there and try to play how I'm playing from the beginning of the tournament and from the beginning of the grass-court season.”
“I'm not going to look further than Gilles Simon, who has caused me difficulties in the past,” said Federer. “I played him tough in some of the majors – Australian Open, French Open – we played five sets both times there.”
Seven-time Wimbledon champion Federer is bidding to reach the final four at the All England Club for the 10th time, his 37th Grand Slam semi-final overall. He has won 11 of the past 12 matches against French players at the Grand Slam level. His only defeat in that time came against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga at Roland Garros in 2013.
The 33-year-old Swiss is looking to become the first man in history to win eight Wimbledon titles. Last year, Federer reached his ninth Wimbledon final, but lost to Novak Djokovic in five sets.
World No. 13 Simon is looking to reach the semi-finals at a major for the first time.
“I often have some close matches with Roger,” said Simon. “Still he destroyed me once, so I'm ready that it can be sometimes difficult to face him.”
Federer and Simon will take to No. 1 Court for their quarter-final clash at 1:00pm on Wednesday. 
[3] Andy Murray (GBR) vs. Vasek Pospisil (CAN) 
FedEx ATP Head2Head: Murray leads 3-0    
The Wimbledon quarter-finals on Wednesday will mark the fourth meeting between Andy Murray and Vasek Pospisil, their first clash on grass. The 25-year-old Canadian has yet to win a set off the World No. 3.
“I played him three times on the hard courts,” said Murray. “I've never played him on grass. He's had a good run here, won the doubles [title] here last year. [He] can play well on the surface. He's also played a lot of tennis here, which is a positive for him in some ways, but also maybe he's a little bit fatigued. So if that is the case, and I won't bank on that being the case, but if that is the case, I'll try to use that to my advantage.”
A champion here in 2013, Murray is bidding to record his 150th Grand Slam match win to reach his 17th major semi-final, his sixth semi-final at the All England Club. If he beats Pospisil, he will move into joint-11th place with Bjorn Borg on the list of most Grand Slam semi-finals reached in the Open Era.
“It's going to be obviously a tough one,” said Pospisil.  “He’s had great results here over the years… But I think I'm serving well, I'm playing well, and I will have a good day of rest [Tuesday]. I know I will have my hands full and I have to go out there and play to the best of my abilities. That’s what I plan on doing.”
The 28-year-old Dunblane native is bidding to become the first British man to win multiple Wimbledon titles since Fred Perry, who won the crown at the All England Club from 1934-36. Murray will have the Centre Court crowd behind him, but the Canadian is not unfamiliar with Wimbledon's prestigious stadium.
“I had one Centre Court experience, and it was a great one,” said Pospisil, who won the doubles crown last year with American Jack Sock. “I'm looking forward to going out there again… [I] realise that it's going to be a tough feat to accomplish, to beat Andy here [at] Wimbledon, his home court.”
Pospisil recorded three five-sets wins en route to the last eight, his best result at a major. He bids to become the third Canadian to reach the semi-finals at a Grand Slam, joining Robert Powell (1908 Wimbledon) and Milos Raonic (2014 Wimbledon).
Murray and Pospisil will face off Wednesday at 1:00pm on Centre Court.
More stories like this in:

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét